Good Morning & Happy Monday! We hope that everyone enjoyed a nice long Thanksgiving weekend. Did your weekend extend more than you were expecting full of holiday food & drinks?? If so, check out this Post Holiday Detox plan. Detox is not about drinking a liquid diet, rather it is about getting rid of unwanted toxins and using the right foods and drinks to do so. I try to personally follow an 80%/20% clean eating diet. Although, I don’t deprive myself, especially during the holidays! Although this time of year the pounds can add up quickly. Follow this Detox plan for the next 5 days. It will help you get back on track and prepare you for the next round of holiday parties!! Some great detox foods and spices to add to your diet this week include: lemons, cayenne pepper, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, garlic, green tea, cucumbers, cabbage, celery, kale, apples, bananas, blueberries, almonds & chia seeds.
Enjoy the week 🙂
Start everyday with a glass of warm lemon water:
Hard-Boiled egg with 1/2 grapefruit or an orange
Steamed spinach with scrambled egg white
Healthy homemade smoothie: a simple smoothie recipe is 1/2 frozen banana, coconut water or almond milk, a handful of frozen blueberries and a handful of fresh spinach, blend well.
Salad: the more greens and veggies the better! You can add simple grilled chicken or a hard boiled egg for protein. Make sure to prepare your own simple dressing to avoid overly processed store bought brands.
Soup: Try this Turmeric Tomato Detox Soup from DetoxDIY (recipe at the bottom)
or make your own broth-based veggie packed homemade soup, make sure to keep it free of noodles and/or rice.
Grilled chicken or fish, 1/2 sweet potato and fresh greens of your choice (spinach, kale, or broccoli are all good choices)
Soup or Salad
Green tea, handful of almonds, fruit and raw veggies.
Make sure to drink 8, 8oz glasses of water a day.
- 5 oz cherry tomatoes, rinsed and cut in halves
- 1 can diced tomatoes with their sauce
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Mixed seeds and nuts, to garnish
- Heat the coconut oil in a sauce pan and fry the onion and garlic for one minute.
- Add turmeric and cherry tomatoes, and cook until the tomatoes softens and leave their juices.
- Add the tomato can, vegetable stock, apple cider vinegar and basil, bring to boil, cover with a lid and let simmer for five minutes.
- Transfer into the blender and pulse to obtain a creamy liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with mixed seeds and nuts.