Looking for a great workout that you can do at home? Try the Surfer Body Workout by Shape Magazine. This is a kick butt workout that is great to do if you are stuck in the house or away on vacation. It is a High Intensity workout that only takes 20 minutes and requires only you! No equipment needed 🙂 Check out the video in the lonk below and follow along!
Surfer Body Workout
*From Shape Magazine
How it works: Set a timer for 20 minutes. Do these moves in order for the number of reps indicated—no resting between moves. Repeat the circuit as many times as you can until the clock runs out. Do this routine three or four days a week on alternate days and record the number of rounds you did each time.
Step 1: Surfies:
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, arms at sides. Crouch, place palms on floor, jump feet back to plank.
- Lower body to floor, then explosively push up and jump feet to hands to land in a staggered stance with left foot forward, knees and elbows bent as if balancing on a surfboard.
- Jump, tucking knees toward chest and bringing palms over knees. Land softly to complete 1 rep. Repeat, this time landing with right foot forward. Do 12 reps, alternating sides.
Step 2: Rail Grab
Sit on floor with knees bent, feet flat, and palms pressing into foot directly below shoulders width fingertips pointing behind you. Lift hips so that body forms a straight line from head to knees. Reach left hand up. Quickly push off right palm and sweep arms to switch positions, landing with left hand on floor and right hand reaching up. Switch sides and repeat to complete 1 rep. Do 12 reps, alternating sides.
Step 3: Crescent Lunge
Stand with feet together, arms at sides. Raise arms overhead. Step left foot back and bend right knee 90 degrees (left leg bends slightly), simultaneously turning torso to right, swinging arms down to outside of right thigh. Return to start. Switch sides and repeat to complete 1 rep. Do 12 reps, alternating sides.
Step 4: Paddle Out
Start on floor in plank on palms. Extend right arm forward to shoulder height with palm facing down, then sweep it out to right in an arc until it meets right thigh. Drag right palm up alongside body until it’s beneath shoulder. Lower hand to floor to return to plank; switch sides and repeat. Do a pushup to complete 1 rep. Do 12 reps.
Step 5: Pop Up
- Kneel on floor with legs together and sit back on heels, bending elbows by sides to bring hands in front of chest to start.
- Swing arms back, then forward as you explosively pop up off knees to and with feet flat on floor, hip-width apart. Stand tall, pressing hips forward and squeezing glutes. Lower back to start to complete 1 rep. Do 12 reps.
Step 6: Bridge Kick
Sit on floor with palms flat under shoulders, fingertips pointing forward, legs extended in front of you. Lift hips so that body forms a straight line from head to heels to start. Pull bent right knee toward chest, then press heel back to start. Next, kick right leg up as far as possible, then lower to start. Switch sides and repeat to complete 1 rep. Do 12 reps, alternating sides.
Step 7: Boat Rocker
- Lie facedown on floor with arms extended forward and legs straight to start. Left chest and thighs off floor, reaching arms and legs long. Lower.
- Roll over left shoulder and rise to sit, balancing on tailbone, extending arms forward and legs up and out so that body forms a V shape. Lower to floor and roll over right shoulder to return to start and complete 1 rep. Do 12 reps, alternating sides.
Step 8: Jackknife
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, arms at sides. Hinge forward from hips, reaching arms back and lifting right leg back until body forms a T shape.
- Explosively jump, driving right knee forward and scooping arms so fingertips meet at chest level (as though you’re hugging a barrel). Land softly to complete 1 rep. Do 12 reps. Switch sides; repeat.
Step 9: Duck Dive
- Start on floor in plank on palms. Press hips up and back so that body forms an inverted V shape (downward-facing dog).
- Bend elbows and dive head forward into the bottom of a pushup with elbows close to sides.
- Push up to start position to complete 1 rep. Do 12 reps.